Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Love

So yesterday, one of my good friends sent us all Damien Rice’s – The Blower’s Daughter and as I listened to it all these thoughts came flooding through my mind about love, about what it might mean to love someone about how simple yet complex love can be.

Today as I sit and listen to the song, again I am reminded of Bonnie Raitte’s song “I can’t make you love me”. Both these songs talk about loving someone and that love kinda been one way. Have been trying without any success to find out the meaning behind “The Blower’s Daughter” and all I came up with was the fact that she was the daughter of Damien’s Clarinet teacher and so I have come up with my own conclusion of what the song really really means. So she must have been a girl she couldn’t get. She was right there yet still unattainable and regardless of what he did, he just couldn’t let go of her he was obsessed with her and perhaps she has similar feelings but both could do nothing, both were helpless. So is this the story of a love that could never be? Is this the story of two people who were so right for each other but could just not come together? I don’t have thee answer all I know is that every time I listen to it, it makes me feel…cant seem to find the right word. It is not sad but it is, just cant put it into words at this particular point in time. Perhaps it makes me think of a lost love, a love that regardless how hard I tried to make happen it never quite worked. Perhaps it is the story of someone else and his or her struggle to love and be loved.

On the other side of the coin, there is Bonnie Raitte’s song where the message is pretty clear. There is no doubting where she is coming from as she sings the chorus and says

“cause I cant make you love me if you don’t
You cant make your heart feel something it wont
Here in the dark, in these lonely hours
I will lay down my heart and Ill feel the power
But you wont, no you wont
cause I cant make you love me, if you don’t”

To love someone and them not love you back. To love someone to the point where you can’t stop even when you know that they will never feel for you what you feel for them. It’s harsh but it is definitely reality. Can’t say I know what it feels like to love somebody and not have them love you back but yet this song still speaks to me. Am not too sure if Bonnie wrote this song or even if she is the original singer, all I know is that she touched a cord and still does every time I hear it.

This weekend I fell in love with Rock ‘n Roll. What do I do if I cant be with him, what do I do if I have these feelings for Rock ‘n Roll and Rock ‘n Roll does not return my love. Where do I go from there? Love is meant to be all these things. According to wikipedia, Love is a constellation of emotions and experiences related to a sense of strong affection or profound oneness. The meaning of love varies relative to context. Romantic love is seen as an ineffable feeling of intense attraction shared in passionate or intimate attraction and intimate interpersonal and sexual relationships. If this is love then why oh why must it hurt. If this is love then why are people so afraid of it. Greek words for love, reflecting the concept's depth, versatility, and complexity. Why must love be so complex, why can it not just be simple?

I know all this yet I still choose to love.
I still choose to love me,
I still choose to love you and yes
I still choose to love Rock ‘n Roll

No comments: