Monday, June 11, 2007

Rock 'n Roll...hmmm

This weekend I fell in love with Rock ‘n Roll. I have previously never even had an inclination to give this “type” of music the time of day but on Friday night, Rock ‘n Roll shoved me against the wall, forced himself on me and made me listen to what he had to say. Oh and did he not just whisper sweet nothings into my ear. I can remember his touch, so gentle yet so masculine; his words were bitter yet sweet. He literally rocked my world and as I listened, I understood just where he was coming from, but could not understand why he had taken so long to reveal himself

Earlier on that evening a good friend had stated that Rock ‘n Roll is the purest form any black artist can express themselves in and after Black Jacks’ (excuse the spelling) performance on Friday night I finally understood what he meant. Unlike previous beliefs I found Black Jack & their interpretation of Rock ‘n Roll speaking to me personally, I could hardly hear the lyrics as the lead singer was saying them to the predominantly white audience but I felt the beats deep within me, I felt them carry me back to my past, to me as a child playing on the street. It took me back to Sunday sessions at my uncle’s house. It took me back to Christmas lunches with the whole family. It took me back to the passing on of loved ones and happy moments I had shared with friends. As I stood there swaying by body to the humma humma of their music my body was transported to another realm. Was this what music was all about? How had I missed out on all this…all my life!

This weekend I fell in love with Rock ‘n Roll, I fell and stumbled without even expecting to and like Jill Scott says “Love slipped from my lips, dripped down my chin and landed in his lap” That’s exactly how I felt…as though I had no control over the situation at all, it all just kinda happened with me just standing there unable to stop the revolution.

This weekend I fell in love with Rock ‘n Roll.

1 comment:

Ms Porcelain said...

Hmmm... Rock n Roll huh? Well I sorta knew that guy when I was younger, he got along with all those other 'cool' kids. I liked what he had to say most of the time, but I was into other things too.

Now that I'm older I realise that my uncle Blues and that young man Rock n Roll get on like a house on fire! Who would have thought? I am glad to see that he is charming all sorts of decent girls these days. I love almost everybody in that music family (a diverse family if ever there was one).

Just so you know. Rockers do it rough and hard ;)