Thursday, June 21, 2007

Phenomenal Woman

…Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see…

I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That's me…

Starting this blog off with a quote from the poem by no one other than Ms Angelou herself, coz it says everything I want to say in just a couple of words.

I’ve been fortunate enough to be blessed with an amazing group of women that constantly inspire me from day to day. The greatest one of all being my iGogo (grandmother) who is thee ultimate woman in my opinion. Can’t even begin to describe the influence she has had on my life. She is the epitome of strength, courage, endurance, kindness, faith and most of all love. She continues to amaze me with every moment I spend in her company.

My iGogo is they type of person who attracts all types of “strays” as I call them. Now I am talking about arriving at her house on a Saturday afternoon and finding a group of young children sitting and “telling her stories”. After they leave I often say “Manje” (and now) and she will explain how they are her friends and had come to pay her a visit. How 6 & 8 year olds relate to her is still a wonder to me. I mean these children leave their homes and come visit a woman who is almost 80 just because they enjoy her company! I guess what they say about how children can sense goodness and evil in people must be true coz then these children prove my point on how my grandmother must be one of the ultimate symbols of goodness.

It is not only the visits with the children that inspire me but rather her interaction with people as well as how she has dealt with the fast balls life has thrown her way. I watched this woman take care of my grandfather after his stroke. For lack of a better word it was beautiful. My grandfather had gotten to the point where he was unable to do most things for himself and my iGogo constantly did them for him, without losing patience, without losing respect and whilst doing it showed him all the love in the world. I looked at her and at that point decided that for me she was my ultimate being. I doubt I would ever get to her level of giving and loving unconditionally She is my ultimate woman. When I grow up, I strive to be just like her.

Most people look at the older women in their families and fail to realise the power they hold. From my grandmother I have learnt about perseverance, I have learnt about faith and about giving selflessly but most of all I have learnt self-love and appreciation. There are no words that could begin to describe what she means to me or the influence she has on my life.

This started off as a blog about phenomenal women and has ended up as a blog about just one phenomenal woman. Perhaps this one ultimate woman symbolizes the women I have drawn into my inner circle of friends. Strong women who continuously inspire and motivate me to also become the ultimate woman.

1 comment:

Ms Porcelain said...

Phenomenal women!!!

I love your post!!!